Thursday, May 21, 2009

You're a Dog Person- Not a Cat Person

Ok, so the above statement was true- might still be a 'tad' true. Somehow, Keane (the adopted one year old Black Panther of a Cat) has managed to make his way into our hearts - and home of course. If you read much of this blog at all, you know by now that we have a number of animals around our house (outside) that seem to make me feel like Elly May Clampet some days but at the same time, i enjoy them being here.........................until the Coons tip over my trash can, the Opossum scares the shit out of me by hissing under the porch and the Crows wake us up on Saturday morning (much earlier than I would like)


With that being said... I still dont mind the animals and it is just part of living in what i call 'Heaven on Earth' so - whatever. Keane.. is exactly what I was hoping for....... a hunter. However, he's become a serial killer of sorts and has manged to if not kill, mangle several animals/reptiles around the house. (outside of the house people........... )


So the story begins yesterday afternoon. Jaida and I were preparing to head to town and meet Jenni and the boys for a walk around town. Jaida is such a good helper with the animals, I had asked her to let the cat in, and she did. Not noticing until he dropped it on the floor... in the dinning room that Keane had not only brought himself in, but a skink as well! For those of you who are not up to date with the 'lizard lingo' here is a picture of the little buga:

OK OK- in all fairness... this isn't the actual 'skink' that Keane brought into us, and thank god. After I saw what the cat had proudly dropped in the floor, I began screaming uncontrollably, which caused Jaida to scream and jump on the couch. The cat, laid down in the floor, closed his eyes and began purring with pride as the lizard, whom had lost his tail, tried to scamper away. Now, apparently these lizards can lose their tail at the drop of a CAT (Raff out Roud) and grow another one. So here this thing is....... basically slithering around the floor, if he had ears before (yes peeps i know reptiles dont have ears) they were bleeding by now because the screams between Jaida and I had to have caused hearing loss in anything within feet of the house. It took me a good 3 minutes to calm down and rationalize about what to do here. After running what seemed like 50 circles in the kitchen trying to decide what to grab the lizard with, I had settled on paper towels. I wadded them up (imagining this little thing biting onto my finger) i had to be sure to pad my hand well. I picked the poor thing up, and threw him out the front door, slamming it quickly behind him. Once i realized what I had done, i felt a bit bad. I mean not only had my cat caused the poor thing to lose his tail (which by the way was crawling around the porch rug....... by itself!!!!) but between my daughter and I it had to be freaked out from our screams... then to top off the horrible day it was having, i threw it 50 feet onto concrete.
If it had been a chipmunk, or... well anything else I would have likely taken it to the vet and NOT freaked out so much.... but i'm NOT a reptile person. I got the cat because i'm SO scared of snakes, that I am praying he kills every single one he finds................. and leaves it where he finds it. So as you can imagine, now i'm just WAITING for my wonderful panther cat to a beloved cotton mouth snake into my house- THEN WHAT? Oh wait, i'll call Jenni... she's a freak and plays with snakes! Problem Solved!
So, maybe I am a dog person at heart. I know this! They give love willingly, they always look happy (ok most of them) and they know just how to make you feel better when you have a bad day. Cats- MOST of them... look a bit pissed at all times, dont come when you call them, and pretty much do their own thing........... they own you! keane is different because he doesn't look pissed, he never gets mad when you pet him for a prolonged amount of time and he does come when called.......... pretty much every time. So he's the exception to the rule and has now made me a cat lover.
it's been a superfabulous day my friends. eBay has become my second job and it's a pleasure really. I hope you all have a great day as well. Chasing lizard tails, laying in the sun, listening to the rain, or heading up the slopes (wait, i think they're closed now??) in any case. Peace out My Friends!!!

1 comment:

Cocaine Princess said...

I think you are a person with a loving and generous heart.